In today’s digital landscape, data security and privacy are vital to the success of any business. This is a hard truth for every industry, but perhaps no one understands this more than MSPs and IT professionals, as they must shoulder the immense responsibility of safeguarding their customers’ information, privacy, and overall business.
At Syncro, we’ve always recognized how paramount security is to our partners and their customers, and remain committed to fortifying the safety of both.
That’s why we’re thrilled to announce we’ve reached a monumental milestone in Q3 – achieving SOC 2 compliance!
SOC 2 Compliance: A Recap
What is it? A rigorous framework to assess and verify the following five areas within a business:
- Processing integrity
- Privacy of customer data
What’s its purpose? The primary purpose of SOC 2 compliance is to assist organizations in safeguarding their customer data against unauthorized access or improper handling.
Who conducts the assessment? An impartial third-party entity, which ensures an unbiased and trustworthy evaluation and verification that SOC 2 compliance is genuinely met.
Why is this relevant to my business? SOC 2 ensures that we’re following standards and protocols to mitigate risk, such as unauthorized access, theft, and security incidents that threaten the safety of your customers’ data. Simply put, it’s a testament to our commitment to data security and a way to help you build trust with your customers.
(More) Benefits of SOC 2 Compliance
- Enhanced Data Security: SOC 2 compliance ensures that our fully integrated PSA and RMM platform has implemented robust security controls. This reduces the risk of data breaches and safeguards sensitive customer information, which in turn – helps to bolster trust between you and your customers.
- Regulatory Compliance: Compliance with SOC 2 standards aligns our platform with various industry regulations, thereby simplifying your compliance efforts and reducing legal risks.
- Efficiency and Reliability: This compliance necessitates streamlined processes and controls, enhancing the overall efficiency and reliability of our platform, creating a more stable and responsive toolset for you to run your business.
- Client Confidence: Providing SOC 2 compliant services means you’re providing your customers the assurance that their data is handled with utmost care and in accordance with industry standards. This vote of confidence makes it easier for you to build and maintain long-term client relationships.
In short, we didn’t set out to obtain SOC 2 compliance merely to check a regulatory checkbox. Our mission is to make MSP’s lives easier, and by weaving this security measure throughout our platform, we hope to do just that by empowering you to offer secure, reliable, and competitive services to help your business thrive.
How We Got Here: The Journey to SOC 2 Compliance
Achieving SOC 2 compliance was no small feat – and it didn’t happen overnight. It required a well-structured strategy, approach, and commitment from every corner of the organization. At a high level, we took the following steps to obtain this certification:
- Define scope: Determined the systems and data within the SOC 2 audit’s scope.
- Risk assessment: Identified security and compliance risks that could impact our ability to serve our partners.
- Develop controls: Implemented security measures and policies where we discovered any gaps. We required all Syncro employees to take and pass a security awareness training and mandate that all new hires must also pass the training, which must be taken every year.
- Testing: Assessed control effectiveness.
- Remediation: Addressed identified weaknesses.
- Independent audit: Engaged a third-party auditor.
- Report issuance: Obtained the SOC 2 audit report (see “Accessing Syncro’s SOC 2 Report” below for instructions on how to obtain a copy).
The collaboration needed for documentation, implementing coverage where we had gaps, collectively passing the security training, and finally becoming SOC 2 Type 1 compliant was a huge team effort. And everyone, from our dedicated employees to our engineering, IT, finance and HR departments, worked in tandem to ensure we successfully reached our goal.
Continuous Progress – SOC 2 Type 2
In addition to SOC 2 Type 1 compliance, Syncro also currently complies with HIPAA and GDPR standards with regard to data handling and processing within our system and is continuously monitoring and updating controls for ongoing compliance.
We plan to complete our SOC 2 Type 2 Compliance audit in 2024, which evaluates the effectiveness of our security controls over an extended period, as opposed to Type 1, which assesses the design and implementation of security controls at a specific point in time.
Building on Our Success
Security will remain a top-tier focus in our product roadmap. Beyond achieving SOC 2 compliance in Q3, we also continued our efforts to launch security features such as SSO and IP allowlist for global admin users, helping you bolster your productivity and network security.
Looking ahead, we will remain diligent about helping you build trust with your clients and offer you the tools to thrive in an ever-evolving digital landscape. We’re excited to continue this journey with you as we build on our shared success toward a more secure future.
Accessing Syncro’s SOC 2 Report
To obtain a copy of our SOC 2 report, please open a ticket with support or reach out to your partner success rep who can share the report with you. As is standard with compliance reports, you will need to agree to an NDA before opening the report.
To stay up to date on new developments as they launch, visit Syncro’s community forum.